Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Block Prints of Kathleen West





Kathleen West is an artist who produces the most beautiful block prints using the same sort of methods William Morris might have used in his day. On her website's bio page, it says "Through personal research of galleries and libraries Kathleen "discovered" the works of William Morris. She was drawn to medieval and nature themes along with literary passages and quotes. This shift in style also led to the hand coloring of her prints and influenced her development of a unique pre-Raphaelite quality."

7 comments:

Robin said...

How lovely! Thank you so much for posting these...I will definitely be bookmarking :-)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Grace,
Merci beaucoup for your email...I will send you some photos. O.K., now this Kathleen West's art is ever so great. You always display things that just tug at my heart. I can't describe the feeling that this evokes, but the simple, clean lines really appeal to me! Are you familiar with the art of Edward Wharton? I will send you a photo from a page of a book that I have on English Ballads. You would like it. See you in a bit, Anita

Ruthie Redden said...

these are beautiful! i adore kathleens work

Belle-Etoile said...

Oh, those are lovely. I think my favorite is the middle picture in the Galahad triptych.

Hermes said...

So good to see these traditions being carried on, and so well too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sorry, I deleted my previous comment--noticed a typo and it just bugged me.
I love all of these--thanks for sharing a new artist. I love learning about modern artists who incorporate a bit of the Pre-Raphaelites in their work.
I loved the first image in your post. It looked a bit like a Tarot card to me.