Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Waterhouse" painting on ebay



Last night I discovered a "Waterhouse" painting on ebay. The description elaborates that it was probably painted by someone contemporary to Waterhouse, from his circle, but apparently the painting has been written on the back "study by Waterhouse." I don't think this piece is by him...the style just isn't right, even for a sketch...but it IS a lovely rendition of the Lady of Shalott from an artist of the same period. The look on her face as she turns and sees the mirror crack is beautiful.

Auction ends in just a couple of hours! :)

5 comments:

Margaret said...

Yeah, I am not even sure if it is actually from an artist contemporary to Waterhouse, but it is lovely! My great aunt used to do a lot of hobby painting in the 1930s and 40s, and the colours in this piece are really reminiscent of the colours she used at that time. Interesting though!

Hermes said...

I doubt it is by him too but it has its own beauty.

Grace said...

Margaret...interesting! I wonder if it's from the same era then!

Jim said...

I think you're right, Grace, it's not in the his style. I think the main giveaway would be that the girl doesn't have the 'Waterhouse' look. The fact it went for $512.00 indicates that few people thought it was his as well. Still, not a bad painting though :)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Nice painting, even though it probably isn't the master's...but I wouldn't mind seeing it hang in my living room! Anita