Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Allure of The Hollywood Stunner

So I don't know how I missed this one.  My husband mentioned to me tonight a lovely picture he'd seen of a favorite actress of mine, Amy Adams, in an issue of People magazine from a few weeks ago.  I went looking for the picture, and stumbled across another shoot she did in 2009 for Allure magazine that took my breath away.  I only saw two shots, but boy were they....gorgeous.




The first image, combined with combing through Google Images for more shots from the spread, suddenly struck me as being rather Lizzie Siddal.  Amy Adams in some ways reminds me of Siddal...having that delicate frailty and innocence about her that draws other people in, yet a strong steel core of courage and talent.

Also tonight my husband and I watched the movie "Now is Good" with Dakota Fanning, and I have to say I was quite impressed with her British accent and with her acting, the latter of which was never a question to me.

Now that the lawsuit surrounding the film Effie has been cleared up, release of the film is free to proceed, and I look forward to seeing another interpretation of an actress exploring the Sisterhood.




So I always love asking this question...which actors or actresses remind you of the Brotherhood or Sisterhood?  Either in physical appearance or in apparent character?

9 comments:

Grace said...

Saoirse Rornan reminds me of a stunner, although she is so delicate that she's almost fairy-like.

tettigoniidae said...

I agree about Ronan. Also Jessica Chastain and Sophie Turner from Game of Thrones. Sophie looks like she's out of a Waterhouse painting.

Moyra said...

When I first started reading about the Brotherhood some years ago, I did fancy Joseph Fiennes and Cate Blanchett for Gabriel and Lizzie. But still there's no-one yet to match the real Jane Morris. Liked Rebecca Davies very much as Fanny in Desperate Romantics. Aidan Turner was fine, he was just let down by the script.

Angelique said...

Holliday Grainger from the Borgias is just amazingly gorgeous, like out of this world ! She would be the dream model of any pre-raphaelite painter, I'm sure.

bright star said...

Lovely enjoyed that so much!

Grace said...

Oh my goodness yes, such wonderful choices. Saoirse Ronan is one of my favorite actresses and I'm so glad you mentioned her. And I only watched two eps of The Borgias, but I was riveted by Holiday's beauty. I so agree with every choice!

julierl said...

I must say - I disagree. I don't think Dakota Fanning resembles the photos or portraits of Effie Millais in any way; particularly her eyes and nose, and especially in profile. I am sure she is a very competent actress, but that is not as important here as it is in casting other films. It's most important for the actresses who portray these often-rendered historical figures to resemble as closely as possible the real people - because Lizzie, Jane, Effie et al were famous first and foremost, for their looks!

Jane Harrington said...

Kate Winslet, when she was younger, Saoirse Rornan, Imogen Poots, Charity Wakefield, an unmade up view of Carey Mulligan, and that girl who played in the last Jane Eyre. Great post.

Grace said...

Julia, at this rate we might never get to see how Dakota does in the role! They keep postponing the release :(

Melinda, good choices! I love that Saoirse keeps popping up...shes a favorite actress of mine.